Wednesday, February 24, 2010

We've been home one day from the hospital! It was quite a long stay. We went in on Wed night and were hoping for the medication to bring us our baby by Thursday. But Thursday am showed no signs of progress and a new round of meds were given. By Thursday night at 8 p.m. still a new approach was taken. I at this point was pretty frustrated and Michael was doing his best to talk me through everything. I was transferred to a Land D room, which is like a Suite compared to the other room I had been in, given some Morphine and had a lovely thing called a Folley Bulb inserted in an unspeakable place. The hopes was that this would work overnight and onto baby by Friday am...but sigh...Friday came and NOTHING...

The DR came Friday am and encouraged us to proceed with the process. So we continued to wait. They started me on an IV drip of Pitosin and hoped that would move things along. But at about 5 o'clock still little progress had happened. They broke my water and WOW...the contractions came! I think Michael still has the nail marks in his arm.

Later that night the nurses kept coming in to turn me, as "chicken's" heartrate kept dropping between contractions. I wasn't really sure what was going on, I was so relaxed and relived from the Epidural. At one point, I asked one of the nurses if I should be worried and she quickly dismissed my question. But then one resident dr came into see me, and a second came in with him, I figured something must be up. Chicken just wasn't tolerating the contractions and a C-section was in order. It was 7:47 p.m. when they told me that, and BOY do they move fast. They had me in the operating room and ready to go waiting for my DR to arrive and chicken born by 8:13 p.m.

I was a ride that was scary and amazing at the same time. I will never forget Michael's precious reaction as he looked across the sterile blue drape to see that we had a precious little girl. And will never forget being able to finally hold her in my arms.

One never really understands what others mean by that instant bond and true love for your child when you get to meet them for the first time until you go through it. I do understand now.

Michael and I spend most of our days, and nights, just staring at Grace Ann. She is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment